Sunday, December 13, 2009

Pearls and More Pearls!

Pearl Twist Bracelet



    I don't think it is a secret one of my favorite materials to use in my jewelry is pearls!  I just think of them as so classy and elegant.  There are so many different shapes, colors and sizes it is hard for me to sometimes decide which to use!

I thought I would share a little knowledge about pearls, and some of my favorite projects.
Pearls are one of the oldest gems in the world, and were used with the belief that they help bring good fortune.
Did you know that freshwater pearls take from three years to as many as five to six years before they are ready for harvest?

Pearl Care Do's and Don'ts:
* Don't toss them in a purse or jewelry box where they can become scratched.
* Treat your pearls gently; keep them in a chamois bag or wrap them in tissue when storing.
* Don't expose pearls to acid-based hair sprays, cosmetics or perfumes. And don't clean them with chemicals or abrasives.
* Do wash them with mild soap and water when you take them off. This will remove any traces of hair spray or perfume.
* When having pearls strung, place a knot between each pearl to avoid abrasion and to prevent loss if the string should break.

Another interesting fact is wearing your pearls regularly will help keep their luster because the bodies natural oils help rejuvenate them!!
I wouldn't recommend you try to clean them yourself, always take them to a professional jeweler to have them brightened!

Here are some of my favorite pearl jewelry pieces from my Etsy shop.  You can see the variety of colors and shapes within the pieces.  I hope you enjoy your pearls for years to come!!



This is a Pearl Lariat that can be found on Etsy:



This can be found on my personal website:

Until next week ....
Thanks.
Janet

5 comments:

  1. I have to wear my pearl necklaces a little more I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to see you included a picture of a pearl lariat in your post. I blogged about how they are the new trend in pearl jewelry here. www.uniquepearl.com/blog/2009/12/out-of-the-boxtrendy-jewelry-think-pearl-lariat/

    ReplyDelete